The following dates and deadlines are valid at most universities (if you do not want to apply for scholarships):
For winter semester enrollment:
- Application period: from around the end of May to 15 July
- Acceptance letters are sent out in August / September.
- Rejection letters are sent out in September / October.
For summer semester enrollment:
- Application period: from the beginning of December to 15 January
- Acceptance letters are sent out in February / March.
- Rejection letters are sent out in March / April.
Deadlines vary at some universities. And some degree programs only commence in the winter semester, which means that the application period may end earlier than indicated above. Inquire at the university of your choice about application deadlines and when your desired degree programme will commence.
Note: If you plan to apply for scholarships, usually the deadlines for winter semester are at least 9 months before the course commencement date. E.g. The applications for scholarships in 2016 usually open in September/October of 2015 and close the latest around December.